How To Preserve Your Clothes?
07 Dec 2020
Who doesn't like happily-ever-after? Not just in spouses and companions, but in our wardrobes too. Buying clothes is not just about procuring; it is an expenditure of time, a depiction of your personality, and your first impression. Hence, every fabric is dear to us, and the obligation to preserve it is not merely an irrational need, but also an environmental demand.
According to a recent study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, approximately 25 billion pounds of depreciated or rejected textile merchandise are discarded in landfills per annum, which statistically presents 70 pounds per citizen U.S., and this is a distressing rate. Many of these textiles are non-biodegradable or take a prolonged span to degrade, threatening the environment.
A convenient technique to circumvent this is preserving the clothes and reusing them. To do so, you don't just maintain your clothes from unintentional slips and spills; you also need to ensure secure laundry and meticulous storage. The secret lies in how you handle, store, dry, and clean your clothes!
(1) TIPS FOR WASHING YOUR CLOTHES:
An essential aspect lies in the customary segregation of your laundry by the variety of wash it demands. For this, review the fastened label on the lower inner edge of your garment. There are explicit instructions- "Dry clean only," "Hand Wash only," "Tumble dry low," etc. Separate the clothes you require to dry clean, machine wash, embroidered dresses, and ones bearing hooks and buttons. Once you have separated them, follow the tips for durable sustenance of your clothes:-
- Use mild detergents; hard detergents depreciate the quality of the fabric.
- Handwash most of the clothes; if you can't, machine wash them with speed according to the type of clothes- low for delicates, underpants, and soft fabrics - medium for most materials you can't decide - high for jeans, rugs, overcoats, etc.
- Use mesh bags to carry your lingeries, active-wears while machine washing them to avoid any damage.
- Don't machine dry them; the excessive pressure damages the fabric bonds and deteriorates and fades your fabric.
- Always wash clothes inside-out. It helps you to avoid any fades in your clothes.
- Dodge the usage of coin-oriented laundry services. Instead, try professional laundry services.
(2) TIPS FOR DRYING CLOTHES:
The subsequent step is drying the clothes. It is often disregarded that the way you dry clothes affects their texture, colours, and strength. Just after you get your outfits out of your washing machine, attempt to keep them as it is on an elevated surface; this lets the excess water drain naturally; you can also roll your clothes inside a dry towel to soak the excess water. Then while drying:-
- Don't lay your clothes in the dryer; clothes strain and suffer their fabric strength.
- Lay them on a clean flat surface or use line-drying and leave them in natural air; it will expose your clothes to vivid air and leave you with excellent, fresh clothes.
- Never dry your clothes in direct sunlight; this withers away the colour of your garments.
(3) TIPS FOR DRY CLEANING:
As much as possible, let the experts supervise the dry cleaning part as they know the rigorous chemistry that goes into the complete cleaning process. It helps them to use the precise amount of best chemicals to keep your clothes soft and smooth. However, if you have to do it on your own, never go for harsh chemicals or inexpensive ones; they tend to appear admirable but harm the clothes in more detrimental ways.
Avoid frequent dry cleaning of clothes. Yes, that's right; even if dry cleaning seems to be the best cleaning option for irritating stains and hydrophobic fabrics, it is best to keep a low dry cleaning frequency. Because the chemicals that interact with your clothes during dry cleaning damage them internally, you can schedule dry cleaning once or twice per month.
(4) TIPS FOR IRONING GARMENTS:
After washing and drying clothes, ironing clothes is a tedious task. However, it is necessary to keep an eye on the temperature. If you are trusting professionals, then it is the best way to get things done. When you do it on your own, try to use the lowest recommended temperature for a specific fabric, like for cotton, use 400 F, for linen, use 445 F. Many irons also have a fabric-wise division of the temperature setting. Use it as per necessity. Here are a few guidelines for ideal crease-less iron:-
- Use a thin towel to cover the area you expose to the iron; this saves any chances of burns and maintains the fabric essence.
- Use blank papers to embed between the clothes while folding them to retain their shape and flexibility.
- Never iron on prints directly; it smudges the inks and destroys the pattern and clothes.
- Always ensure to iron the clothes inside-out in case of any embellishments, embroidery, or bead adjuncts.
- When you have set the temperature, try ironing a meagre patch of cloth from the side to test the burns' risks.
(5) STORAGE TIPS:
Finally, the storage of clothes outlines the extent of clothes. It turns out that even if you get professional aides in cleaning and ironing your clothes, this part is for you to tackle. Hence, if you never wish to smell awful or hate stains on your clothes, try following the below tips:-
- Store your clothes in a breathable packing. It helps to retain the freshness of clothes and also limits any yellow stains.
- Never use plastic packaging or cardboard covers to stock your clothes; they either suffocate the clothes or entice bugs.
- Always use secure packaging for clothes that you use occasionally; you can try accumulating them in distinct segments of your wardrobe.
- Hang the lawsuits and other hanging clothes and never crease them and hold them between other garments.
Neat and tidy clothes supplement your eminence and portray your organized personality. It vocalizes a lot for you. Moreover, time spared in the laundry is never an expenditure; it is an investment in your impressions and moods. Cleaner and better clothes always offer the tranquillity of mind and discipline in your life. You can always lend a professional dry-cleaner's help to get your laundry done in the best possible way.
How To Keep Your Dress Shirt Looking Sharp?
07 Dec 2020
Why Should You Choose Laundry Services In Dubai?
15 Jan 2021